The Monte Cristo sandwich, which is not to be confused with the 1975 classic film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, has been around for well over a century. It is a lovely marriage of a grilled ham and a cheese sandwich meeting French toast. Often dusted with powdered sugar and topped with a fruit compote. The delicious medley of sweet meeting savory is a combination that the great Monty Python comedy group would be proud to serve in the King Arthur’s Court.
American Steam Griddled Monte Cristo Sandwich
Being able to utilize a hot griddle surface as well as steaming the sandwich is key to creating a beautifully mastered and crispy Monte Cristo. Along with an array of many of my other recipes found here: https://chefhacks.net/category/recipe/
Monte Cristo Batter:
3 Whole Eggs
1 C. Whole Milk
3 Tbl. White Sugar
1 Tbl. Vanilla Extract
Monte Cristo Ingredients:
2 Slices White Bread
4 Slices Bacon
1 C. Blueberries
1 C. Cranberry Juice
Sliced Swiss Cheese
Sliced American Cheese
How to Create the Perfect Monte Cristo Sandwich:
- Mix your ingredients for the batter together in a bowl.
- Combine the blueberries and cranberry juice and simmer until it becomes thick, set it aside for later use.
- Preheat your American Steam Griddle to 350°.
- Dip the white bread into the batter and place on a hot and buttered griddle.
- Griddle for five minutes and flip over to the other side, utilizing the steam shell lid.
- Place a slice of Swiss cheese and a slice of cheddar on each piece.
- Add the ham and bacon onto the French toast.
- Place the other piece on top of it and let the cheese melt into the pork.
- Slice the sandwich in half and top with blueberry compote and top with powdered sugar.
- This big python of a sandwich is now ready to be devoured!