The term hamburger is very universal but there is one thing we can all agree on- there is no ham in hamburgers. Past that, there seems to be a lot of different categories for this sandwich. From pub burgers to fast-food drive-through burgers, they range in all types of sizes and toppings. We are going to make a specific style of hamburgers: smash burgers. The idea behind the smash burger is simple, smash the burger. This is typically done by first starting off with a ball or puck of seasoned ground beef and smashing is with a heavy steak weight or a heavy-duty spatula.
What you’ll need:
- Ground Beef, 80/20
- Potato Buns
- American Cheese
- Various toppings: Lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, ketchup, mustard, and mayo.
Smash Burger Recipe and Directions:
- Preheat your American Griddle to 365°.
- Once preheated, lay down strips of bacon and cook until crispy. Keep the grease on the griddle, it helps with searing the burgers.
- Recipe for homemade burger patties: Form three ounces of ground beef into a sphere. Season with salt.
- Place ground beef on a griddle and using a heavy-duty spatula to smash the burger into the griddle. We want to cook it three-fourths of the time on the one side to help develop a nice crust, then flip it and cook it on the other side, one-fourth of the time.
- Once you flip it, top it with bacon strips and American cheese.
- Remove from the griddle and put on a potato bun, top with your favorite toppings, and enjoy.
While this works great on the American Steam Griddle, alternatively you could use a cast iron pan. It is just very important that you have a cooking surface that is hot and can retain the temperature once the product is added. This will help you create a great crust that makes a smash burger so great. For more great recipes featuring the American Griddle, check out these recipes.