Thermodyne Slow Cook and Hold Recipe for Beef Barbacoa
For a new twist on Taco Tuesday, instead of using chicken or ground beef, give beef barbacoa a try. Traditionally, it is made by digging a hole in the ground and slow cooking lamb or beef in chiles that are then wrapped in banana leaves. With ever-evolving times, traditional methods have taken a modern and more efficient twist, but that does not mean you have to sacrifice flavor.
Utilizing your Thermodyne Slow Cook and Hold Oven to its Full Potential
While you will not be able to give it the smoke flavor of the traditional method, we can still cook it to the exact temperature that we want it to fall apart and be deliciously tender. With the even temperature distribution and gentle heat, we are going to create a one of a kind beef barbacoa dish that will rival any.
Beef Barbacoa Instructions:
4 Lbs. Chuck Roast
¼ C. Apple Cider Vinegar
½ C. Vegetable oil
4 Cloves Garlic
1 Tbl. Cumin
½ tea. Black Pepper
1 Tbl. Salt
½ tea. Ground Cloves
2 Tbl. Chipotle in Adobe
½ oz. Fresh Oregano
2 C. Chicken Stock
1 Ea. Bay Leaf
2 Ea. Limes
- Cut the chuck roast into even 1-pound pieces.
- Preheat your Thermodyne oven to 230°.
- Combine the vinegar, oil, garlic, cumin, garlic, cumin, pepper, salt, cloves, and chipotle in adobe in a blender. Pulse until mostly smooth. This will give you your marinade.
- Place the chuck pieces in a sandwich bag and pour in half of the marinade. Allow it to sit for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Remove from bag and pat the meat dry.
- Put a cast iron pan over high heat n the stove and drizzle in some vegetable oi.
- Sear the meat aggressively on all sides.
- Add in the remaining marinade, oregano, chicken stock, limes, and bay leaf.
- Cover the pan with foil and a baking sheet on top.
- Place in hot Thermodyne oven and allow it to cook for 7 hours.
- Once it is fully cooked, carefully remove the meat and strain the juices from the pan.
- Shred the meat
- To assemble:
- Heat corn tortillas
- Place meat in tortillas
- Drizzle pan juice on meat
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro, onions, and jalapenos.