There are probably over a hundred ways to cook a chicken. From roasting to frying, baking, and braising, the chicken is just like its counterpart, the egg, in that there are so many ways to cook it that most of us can’t wrap our head around it. For today’s blog, we are going to be using a combination method of cooking that utilizes both our Thermodyne slow cook and hold oven as well as a deep fat fryer. With the slow cooking capabilities of the Thermodyne cook and hold oven paired with the hot grease of the deep fat fryer, we are going to create a chicken masterpiece!
Ingredients for our Roasted Chicken Recipe
2- 4 LB. Whole Chickens
2 C. Celery, Chopped
2 C. Carrots, Chopped
4 C. Onions, Chopped
4 Ea. Garlic Cloves, Minced
3 Sprigs Rosemary
10 Sprigs Thyme
10 Sprigs Parsley
6 Ea. Hawaiian Dinner Rolls, Chopped
20 oz. Smoked Turkey Necks
2 C. White Wine
3 Tbl. Franks Red Hot
Salt & Pepper as needed
Brown Sugar as needed
- Combine the turkey necks, franks, white wine, and enough water to cover them in a saucepan and allow to simmer for 2 hours.
- Begin by lightly sautéing the carrots, celery, and onions in some olive oil.
- Once they have begun to sweat, add in garlic and herbs.
- Add in the tender turkey necks and mix them well.
- Throw in the cubed bread and allow it to absorb the flavors and juices, this will now be your stuffing.
- Season with Salt and pepper.
- Remove Chickens from packaging and pat them dry.
- Begin putting the stuffing into the cavity of the chicken.
- Once birds are stuffed, season the chicken with salt, pepper, and brown sugar.
- Now wrap your chicken up tightly in plastic wrap, helping to preserve the natural shape of it. Repeat this with other chicken.
- Preheat your Thermodyne oven to 215° and cook, breast side down for 3.5 hours.
- Once it’s cooked, remove it from plastic wrap and discard stuffing.
- Heat your deep fat fryer to 350°.
- Fry whole chickens for 5-5 minutes or until the skin is crispy and golden brown.
- Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
While this is a very extensive process for the chicken, the outcome and flavor are unmatched. It is a centerpiece that can bring your dinner together. If you liked this chicken recipe be sure to check out my other recent chicken recipe here, and stick around for more delicious recipes coming soon!